Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Mon/Two


Happy tuesday everyone!

I wanted to send out a thank you to everyone who commented, shared and cared about my mini-essay on hand shaping so far. I was a bit hesitant to share it because surfers tend to be a bit ehem, sensitive, but the response has made my heart all warm and fuzzy.

Yesterday I had the pleasure of shaping two boards for Gregg Tally, one of Santa Barbara's fewest and finest surfer/shapers. He's been letting me sneak around his shop and make a few boards between projects. When he asked me a few days ago to shape him a pair of boards as a trade for my time there, I was floored.

I spent the better part of yesterday shaping those two boards while Gregg watched on from the doorway, and I'm proud that step one on each board was penciling out a template and grabbing a hand saw. Foam dust flew for the next few hours and what came out are two boards that have a story, a feeling and a life, before even being glassed.

Yep, I got a case of the mondays :)




No comments: