Friday, February 17, 2012

Chadd Konig's 8'2"


8'2" x 20" x 2 3/4" Gun. This is my first foray into big-wave gun territory and I'm pretty enthused on the subject! Its a humbling thing to be asked to build, considering where and what these boards are intended for. I took a lot of time and consideration in preparing to shape this one, where other times I'm more chomping at the bit, I paced myself on this one and allowed for the board to settle in as I was going through the motions.



I got pretty giddy when Chadd asked me to make him an 8'2" gun for double to triple overhead waves; namely a few local ones but to be used wherever and whenever necessary (mr.Konig spends much of his time searching out much bigger waves than the rest of us. And, equally as interesting, spends a large percentage of his time getting into all sorts of activism work in foreign lands as well as local ones...pretty good gig). He had basic dimensions for me to work from at my discretion and gave me a broken board of his that he really liked, I asked him to write down any input or preferences in design/shape on a scrap of paper for me...Later I looked at it and it read, "Have freedom in your creations."


I was deep in the shop all day yesterday and didn't have a chance to get around my phone; When I checked in on it I had 4 missed calls from him. On the drive home, #5 came in and I thought I ought to spend a minute and see what was so exciting...I answered and got an enthusiastic "YEEEEEEAH BUDDY!" on the other end. "I haven't ridden them all but I reckon this is the best surfboard you've ever made!" I was floored and 10 hours in the shop faded into my memory.



No comments: